08 June 2009

Inkspell

by Cornelia Funke.

I read this as soon as I could after reading Inkheart....but I was kind of disappointed. Mainly because the book really sets up the third and last installment instead of wrapping its own storylines up nice and tidy. I really got to like Dustfinger, a character brought to life from a book in Inkheart, during this story. You really see him as a rounded character. In fact, I would venture to say that the majority of this book is more centered around him than around Mo, Meggie, Elinor, and Resa.

After reading Inkheart and Inkspell so close together I have noticed the author's foreshadowing style is a bit predictable, and I guessed correctly what happened in the 3rd book, according to wikipedia. (I just don't have the time to read it, and there are a few plot spins that make me not want to read it too so I cheated by reading the synopsis on wikipedia. Hey, I still wanted to know how she ended it!)

Plus, I have to admit that a close associate warned me over the weekend that the 3rd book was night and day different from the first book....so that kind of turned me off too. But I'm glad she warned me because after seeing the synopsis I would have been mad if I had spent a couple days reading it and was disappointed that what I wanted to happen didn't happen afterall.

Inkspell continues the adventures begun in Inkheart, only instead of having characters come out of books into the "real world" like in Inkheart, the characters enter the inkworld within the pages of the fictional Inkheart book in Inkspell.

1 comment:

Irish said...

I just loved this series ..... And my kids loved them as well :)