27 May 2009

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

by Mark Haddon.

I read this book because I saw it recommended on a friend's facebook wall. Random, I know. But I googled it and thought it sounded interesting so I went and checked it out. This story is told from the point of view of an autistic boy, and the author has spent over a decade working with autistic and other special-needs children; this story is the result of many of his experiences.

I also was intrigued because my cousin is autistic, and as I read the story I could genuinely see some of my cousin's thought processes represented in the manner the story was told, and also the logic for behavior chain-reactions. There are a few F-bombs dropped along the way, just as a heads up.

Christopher is a boy who finds his neighbor's dog dead in the neighbor's front yard in the middle of the night. He is understandably upset, and when the neighbor comes outside she jumps to the conclusion that Christopher is the one who killed her dog. What follows is a narrative of events resulting from this initial incident.

No comments: