08 June 2009

Tuck Everlasting

by Natalie Babbitt.Tuck Everlasting is a really sweet story. It is. Its a delight to read. If you're typically a fast reader you could probably read it in 2-3 hours. Just short and simple.

I enjoyed it until I got to the end. My issue is that is just ends! The story is flowing along, and then wham! The last chapter takes place a lifetime after the previous one, without any explanation or insight. I was left wondering about everything that had happened in the interim, and why certain characters chose the way they did. The closest thing I can compare it to is a creative writing assignment for a college course---you have an idea, you flesh it out, things are coursing along and suddenly you realize you've almost hit your page limit so you hurriedly wrap things up. That is what the ending reminded me of. I was in a bad mood for 3 days because of it.

I need to learn not to let books bother me so much.

***
Winnie Foster meets a family one day who claim to be immortal. She has to decide whether to protect their secret, and whether she would like to join their status or keep her own mortality.

1 comment:

Shauna said...

What a great blog you have here :)