10 November 2009

Enna Burning

by Shannon Hale.

After I read The Goose Girl, a lot of people told me I absolutely had to read Enna Burning. It took me a while to get a chance to check it out of the library because our library seems to have it on constant hold-status even though it was published in 2004.....but I finally got my hands on it.

What can I say? Enna Burning was in fact really good! I wouldn't recommend reading it unless you have read The Goose Girl though, because the story picks up a few months after The Goose Girl ends, only this time it is told from the perspective of Enna, Isi's friend who was a fellow animal-keeper in The Goose Girl.

Enna is hilarious. The things she says just make me laugh out loud. If you've read The Goose Girl, you'll remember that Isi learns the language of animals. Well, this story is about Enna learning the language of fire. It turns out she's quite good at controlling heat and pulling or pushing it away, but the story really pivots on whether the fire will eventually consume her since fire is an all-consuming force. Take into consideration that Tira, the nation to the east of Bayern has declared war on Bayern and is trying to take over the country and you've got a great fanciful read that really has an ending the reader doesn't expect. Good read.

No comments: